Saturday, June 12, 2010

Labor Pains

Lots of changes have taken place over the last few weeks!  Exciting things are happening around here!

Luke graduated from UCCS with his Masters degree
Luke commissioned as an Officer with the Army
 We welcomed little Eli to the family

It's been a whirl wind, but we've enjoyed every minute of it!  I'm so proud of the 2 men in my life! 

Labor Pains
I thought you might like to hear the story of Eli's birth (with as little gross details as possible!).   

The family had been here for about a week and a half and were leaving very soon. We tried and tried to encourage Eli to make his journey into the world, but with no avail.  He was comfortable where he was and wasn't budging.  Time was running short so I decided to make a doctors appointment and let modern medicine help out a bit.  I won't say what the doctor did, but it worked!  At around 9pm on May 26, I decided to head to bed.  I figured I should rest up if the "procedure" were to work.  Babies always decide to come late at night, so I'd better be ready.  As soon as I got in bed, my water broke.  So much for resting!   We loaded everyone in the car (Lisa and Luke's mom were staying with us) and drove to the hospital.  By then, the contractions were short, but intense and coming 1-2 minutes apart. 
Luke and I went to get checked in and the nurses examined me.  I wasn't sure my contractions were strong enough or that my water had completely broken, so I was a little confused when they started putting the hospital bracelets on me.  Just to clarify, I asked the nurse if they were in fact admitting me...one has to be sure!  They were.  Phew...no false alarms.  This was it.
At first, I was on the fence about getting an epidural.  Well, that lasted about a minute and I readily accepted it.  All drugged up and catheter in (ew) I was ready to get this show on the road.  Well, we ended up resting/playing cards for the rest of the night.  My mom and Lisa stayed up with me while Luke and his mom got some shut eye.  I guess not being a napper runs in our family.  By 7:00 I was 9 cm dialated and my water still hadn't officially broken (leaking, but not breaking).  The doctor broke my water and I was at 10 cm within the hour.  They told me that first time mothers take about 2 hours to push.  I wasn't having that.  Eli was out in 38 minutes, surprising the doctor and nurse!  He was born at 8:38am a healthy, little boy.
I'll admit.  At first, I was feeling more wierded out than like a mother.  That "love at first sight" story didn't happen right away for me.  Mine came later during the midnight feedings.  When it was just the 2 of us and those baby blues locked with mine.  Wow. 
Now we're up at least every 2 hours at night and he is the NOISIEST 2 week old I've ever seen!  My next blog may include a recording of his little squeaks, but for now I'll leave you with one of his cute, little hiccups.

5 comments:

  1. We are so glad you guys are doing so well! We have prayed and prayed for each of you! The mom in me was also glad to get the scoop on labor and how it went for you as I've often wondered. You guys are doing an amazing job and our prayers continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing feeling! Congrats on a great job Mommy! Everyday the unbreakable bond of a Mom and child grows.... Enjoy every second. Time passes so quickly. God Bless all three of you. Joleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nate and Deb LeathermanJune 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

    Loved the latest update/and summary of your busy month of May. I'm so proud of you guys, keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrystal,

    I love it. "I wasn't having that." Power to the people!

    Glad to know you are doing well. When you have more time, it would be great to talk, and see more pics of developing Eli.

    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a crazy day! I am just glad that we made it and that God has blessed us! I love little Elijah and I am looking forward to all of the adventures that our family will have!

    ReplyDelete