Friday, August 21, 2009

Thoughts inspired by "A New Kind of Christian"

I've been reading a book called "A New Kind of Christian." If you would've asked me yesterday or last week what I thought about it, I probably would have given you a vague or negative answer. I just wasn't getting into it (or getting it for that matter). Today it really got me thinking.
In one of the early chapters the author talks about the Bible. He says that it's not necessarily the end all and be all for our lives. He said we should take it more like a book of wisdom, not one that has the answer to every problem. Now, before you yell at me for reading this book, hear me out. I don't agree with everything the book says, but I definitely can appreciate a book that gets me thinking.
I was driving to Batteries Plus for work this afternoon and started thinking about God/Jesus. I realized that all my life, I've been worshipping the God of the Bible that I know. I get my opinion of Him from my understanding of the Bible. This would be great if I was an amazing person who interpreted the Bible exactly as God said it and knew every tiny crevice and corner of it. Not so though...I'll admit...I never will know it like that. So why am I basing my thoughts of Him and worship of Him on that?
Here's my new challenge. I'm going to worship God for who He is (earth shattering right?). I know that's not a new concept, but I think I'm finally starting to get it. God/Jesus is not just someone who lived in Biblical times and did great things. Why am I worshipping Him like He is?
I want to worship a mysterious person (God) who romances me every day and makes me smile. I want to worship a God that adores me and whom I adore. I want to worship a REAL person (God). I hope this isn't disrespectful or blasphemous, but isn't there something sexy about mystery? Doesn't it just leave you wanting more of someone? Isn't it exciting when you find new things about them that you didn't know? Why don't I let God's mystery draw me to Him? Why do I love Him for only what I know, when there is so much more to love Him for that I haven't even found out yet?
God is good, God is real, and God is not just in the Bible. He's here, with me, whispering things to me, romancing and exciting me. I want to learn more about this God...

PS...I DO believe that the Bible is the end all and be all...not just a book of wisdom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment