1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 egg
OK. Got it. Simple enough. How could anyone mess this up? Although I had flash backs of a year ago when I tried this same recipe (and utterly failed), I figured that I just used a cup of all-purpose flour instead of self-rising. Lesson learned. Don't be afraid. Just try again with the correct kind. I can do this perfectly in IL so I can master it in CO too.
Here we go. 1 cup milk, 1 cup self-rising flour & 1 egg. Mix together in my Pampered Chef bowl (yes, because I am a professional) and pour on the pan.
Que problem #1:
Yes, that's right. My pan is crooked. If you've ever tried to cook runny substances on a crooked pan, you'll know where I'm going with this. We haven't hit tragedy just yet though The pancakes ran together a bit, but not so much that I couldn't break them apart after they were cooked.
I still have high hopes for my Saturday morning breakfast and I continue making the pancakes. All of a sudden
Que problem #2
Smoke starts coming up from the burner and goes everywhere! In a panic that the smoke alarm would go off, I turned on the stove fan and turned the heat down on the burner.
Tragedy #2 averted.
My first batch of pancakes get flipped, cooked & plated.
Que problem #3
Pancakes the thickness of crepes. I thoroughly enjoy a good crepe every once in a while. Chocolate, strawberries, whipped cream all wrapped up in a thin shell...perfect! But pancakes are NOT crepes.
I put some more flour into my mixture. It is high alititude right? As we all know, a little flour will solve any high altitide baking problem.
Tragedy #3 avoided (I hope)
I place my new flour packed mixture onto my crooked pan and started baking again. OK, OK, I got this. It seems to be working! I cooked up the rest of the pancakes (still stinking burning them I might add) and got them ready to serve.
I took them into the bedroom (remember? super wife=breakfast in bed for her husband) and we took our first bite of...THE NASTIEST THINGS EVER! Even with jelly & bananas on them(looked like crepes, might as well treat them as crepes) covering the tast they were still awful! Luke, somehow didn't mind them, but I couldn't take more than 1 bite. I ended up giving a little piece to Lexi (dog) and she ate it, but her face didn't look like she was enjoying them.
So...the question is...how do I make HOMEMADE pancakes in CO altitude???? If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it!

Use Bisquick. Tastes better anyway. Get an electric skillet. Great for Pancakes and grilled sandwiches.
ReplyDeleteYou are a fantastic writer, by the way!
Yes you are, but you're killing me- how were they?!
ReplyDeleteOh Mary Lynn....they were AWFUL!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks by the way! Your comment helped me realize the ending of the story didn't post! I went back and finished. The ending will make more sense now.
ReplyDeleteThat darn altitude! My cousin loves to bake yummy things & she lives in Fort Collins, I will ask her the tricks of the trade for you. I was so impressed with your recipe, I have a pancake recipe I love but it's like 8 ingredients- I had no idea you could make with 3- that's great! (that's funny I just read your new post after I wrote this- great minds...)
ReplyDeleteJust heard back from my cousin again. Here's the scoop:
ReplyDeleteNever mind….i guess I don’t knowJ here is a website I found…
http://www.swcoloradohome.com/articles/food/020114_b.asp